Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I Will Not Download Your Mix Tape.

I'll admit, I might not always be 100% logical with my thought process... sometimes it's closer to 99.99%. What I don't understand is how so many people in this world don't realize how stupid they sound every time they speak. Some people don't even have to speak to sound dumb, they just kind of exist as a being of supreme stupidity.

What has me on this rant is the fact that I'm finally into my last year of college and I finished a recording class with a kid who would constantly tell people at the end of class to "FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER, DOWNLOAD MY MIX TAPE." Here's what I don't understand, how would you go about downloading a mix tape? You can't download tape. If you're recording, mixing, mastering, and releasing your albums digitally, how would this make it a tape in any sense? That's the thing, it doesn't. Last day of class he offered a few of us a copy of his "mix tape" on CD. Instead of just saying no, because his music is horrible and I knew that he knew nothing about mixing music, I just made fun of him for calling a CD a tape. I must have said "YOU CAN'T DOWNLOAD TAPE" to him at least 20 times.

On top of it all, it's not exactly a "mix" either if it's supposed to be an album by a single artist. Show me a cassette or reel of tape with the same contents on it and maybe I'd let it slide, but the fact that people can call an album that isn't a mix or a tape kind of baffles me. Have people just forgotten what tape is? I mean it's not like studios don't use tape every single day, so why is it so hard to understand that if something is not on tape, it is not a tape?

On another note, I wish my college had a test within the application to major in audio that asks, "do you 'make beats?'" and answering "Yes" would make you ineligible to take any classes in the department. I swear, every single kid at my college thinks they're going to become the world's greatest rap or hip-hop super star because they know how to press the power button on their computer and can rhyme "money" with "money." If it's not the wanna-be rappers, it's the hipsters, and together they've made me lose all hope for the future of music. I could keep going, but instead I'd rather change subjects and end this post.

Cee Lo Green is Dr. WongBurger from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.


Thank you and goodnight.

No comments: